The New York State Mortgage Assistance Program offers eligible homeowners up to $40,000 at 0% interest to avoid foreclosure or seizure. Funds from this program can be used to bring a mortgage current, help get a modification, bring property taxes current or settle other debts that could lead to foreclosure. HomeOwnership Counselors at the HomeOwnership Center at Home HeadQuarters can help determine if a homeowner is eligible. This program is made possible by the New York State Attorney General’s Office. If you're interested in applying, download the application here.
Foreclosure Prevention Program
STEP 1: Register for and attend a FREE Understanding & Preventing Foreclosure Workshop
Understanding & Preventing Foreclosure Workshop
This free, 2-hour informational workshop will explain how the judicial foreclosure process works in New York State; what your options are to avoid foreclosure; and what to expect once the bank files a foreclosure action against you including:
- How to fill out a hardship application
- Settlement Conferences
- How to work with your bank
- Filing a pro se answer
- Financial fitness and your budget
- Short sale, deed in lieu and modification
Attending this workshop is the first step to preventing foreclosure and is a pre-requisite to participating in the HomeOwnership Center’s Foreclosure Prevention Program.
It is important to attend a Understanding & Preventing Foreclosure workshop before:
- You fall behind on your mortgage or tax payments
- Signing with a private lender or investor
- Signing up for a "program" that claims to make payments for you
- Taking out another loan
- Selling your home
Can you avoid foreclosure? We will do everything possible to help you avoid foreclosure, but success is dependent upon many things including your past payment history, how behind you are on payments and what institution holds your mortgage. For some families, staying in the home may not be the best possible outcome and for others, strict budgeting may prove too difficult to maintain. Whatever your case may be, our staff is here to help you get back on your feet.
Please note: In Madison County, the February 18th workshop will be held at the Canastota Public Library, 102 West Center Street, Canastota, NY 13032.
Understanding & Preventing Foreclosure Workshops are taught by our trained foreclosure prevention and housing counselors and are offered twice a month in Onondaga County and once a month in Cayuga, Cortland, Madison, Jefferson/Lewis and Oswego Counties.
STEP 2: Foreclosure Prevention Counseling
After you have attended an Understanding & Preventing Foreclosure Workshop, you can schedule a one-on-one appointment with a foreclosure prevention counselor and a legal representative from Hiscock Legal Aid Society who will review your personal financial situation, discuss your options, and help you prepare your hardship application if necessary.
What you can expect from the HomeOwnership Center’s Foreclosure Prevention program & counselors:
- Straight talk – sometimes solutions are hard and often mean lifestyle changes and crisis budgeting.
- Review – a hard look at your whole financial picture including income, expenses and spending habits.
- Guidance – help sorting through financial issues and exploring solutions which may include modifying or refinancing your mortgage, restructuring your debt or obtaining a special forbearance. On occasion selling your house may be your best option.
- Information - about the foreclosure process so you will be prepared and know what to expect.
A counselor can help:
- Create a budget that will work for you
- Answer questions about the foreclosure process
- Develop an action plan to help repair credit problems
- Advocate on your behalf
- Assist you in resolving your delinquent mortgage status
- Refer eligible customers for legal assistance
How can YOU avoid foreclosure?
The best defense against losing your home is YOU! During this uncertain time, it is important that you:
- Complete and submit necessary documents in a timely manner
- Continue to save money towards a possible resolution of your mortgage
- Maintain a steady source of income and employment
- Stick to a budget
- Don't give up hope
Items you will need:
After you attend our Understanding & Preventing Foreclosure workshop, you will also need additional information, so gathering that information in advance will help us to help you faster.
- One month of pay stubs or proof of all other household income
- Monthly billing statement from your lender
- A copy of the deed to your property
- A copy of your photo ID
- Most recent letter from your mortgage company and/or attorney
- Bank statements for all accounts
- Supporting documentation of your hardship (medical bills, emergency repairs, etc.)
Foreclosure Prevention Forms
Please download and complete all applicable documents prior to your first one-on-one counseling session. Being organized and prepared will better enable your counselor to help you resolve your housing concerns.
Click on the document name below to download a PDF
Foreclosure Prevention Lender Resources
If you are facing a mortgage foreclosure, you will want to research and understand your lender-specific requirements. Below you will find links to some of Central New York’s mortgage lenders:
Funded through the New York State Attorney General Homeownership Protection Program.
The Foreclosure Prevention Program is a cooperative effort of the City of Syracuse Department of Neighborhood & Business Development and Home HeadQuarters designed to help city residents avoid foreclosure.